From:
Mark Spagnolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 21:15:41 EDT
Although this method seems to go against everything I have ever learned about
keeping bees, it is something that I have tried recently.  I am still
undecided about its merits.

One one side of the arguement, the selling price of honey, the cost, effort
and limited effectiveness of medication, and amount of honey required to keep
bees alive through a Minnesota winter all seem to make "Evicting" a smart
decision.

On the other side, established hives make more honey and can be split.
Packages are still widely available, but the price is higher every year and
the quality might not be what it was previously.  The investment in equipment
is only worth the quality of the bees that use that equipment.  Re-populating
with packages every year is a gamble, no doubt about it.

I have tried both methods (wintering and "evicting").  I prefer wintering,
but I think I will end up settling on a combination of both.  I would like to
winter first year hives made from splits, and "evict" hives that have made it
through a second summer.

I am interesting in hearing from others.  This is something I think about
every fall.

Mark in Minnesota