From:
Roger Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:55:18 -0500
John Mitchell wrote: "If you like a good alocoholic honey beverage,
try an Ethiopian or Eritrean
> restaurant. It seems to be the only alcoholic beverage offered in
many such
> restaurants. A national or cultural drink of sorts (maybe a niche
local
> market for honey if they brew their own).

Just as a point of information, we had a chance to stop at several
"Mom & Pop" wineries in Washington's Yakima Valley last month and,
being a beekeeper and mead-maker, always asked about meads.  Only one
winery in the area, Bonair at Zillah, WA, makes mead, we were told.
Upon visiting with the winemaker there, we were told much of their
mead is produced under contract for Ethiopian restaurants in New York
City.  I mention this only because of the recent discussions on this
list about niche marketing and how to avoid "commodity" pricing.
--Rog Flanders, Nemaha County, Nebraska