From:
Lesli Sagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 11:38:24 -0500
I used to wear street clothes and a hat, often sun glasses
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb75/dcs666/Public/?action=view&current=mewithbees.jpg.
My hair was short, and a hat was enough to keep them out of my hair.

These days, I wear a jacket with attached veil, which keeps them out
of my (somewhat longer) hair and away from my eyes; also, I don't need
to apply sunscreen with the jacket, which means I don't have to worry
about the smell bothering the bees (or attracting them or otherwise
making life harder on all of us). The elastic is sprung at the cuffs
and waist, but I rarely worry about the occasional bee up my sleeve.
The other advantage is that the jacket can get full of propolis and
wax, and my t-shirts can remain street clothes.

I don't wear gloves, usually. Last year, I had a hive go from calm and
gentle to ballistic seemingly overnight. I was glad to have the jacket
on, since I took 5 or 6 stings on the hands instead of
who-knows-how-many. To work that hive, I ended up in full hazmat,
boots and gloves included, and was glad I had the suit. I bought the
suit for my (non-beekeeper) husband, in case I needed his help pulling
honey, but now I'm glad I have it for myself. When I start working
tens of hives rather than a few in the backyard, it will probably be
my uniform--cool enough in summer, washable, attached veil.