From:
Karen Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 05:58:37 -0500
Thank you all who answered my question on price. I have responded to quotes from several of your replies.

>The bee mags give regional prices and a very wide, generous spread.
The prices in Octobers Bee Culture and it lists my region (New England) as $3.95 for 1 lb glass/plastic. I think The BJ is about the same. I do not think anyone is selling that low. We would go broke, the glass bottle alone without shipping is .67, the price of sugar for spring and fall feeding, medications, equipment replacement, time in building equipment and painting.... I do not need to tell you all the cost and time to do things right.  I went to the state meeting in Massachusetts and spoke with a few people there who are getting $10 a LB we were getting $5 at the time. I decided to Google honey sales for Maine and came up with prices from farmers markets and people who had honey on their web sites so I increased the price to reflect what I saw.

>I stacked similar supers in my honey room with a dehumidifier for several days.  Uncapped cells checked with my refractometer
In the future I will used this information. I know I put as many filled uncapped frames in storage as I extracted. I guess a refractometer goes on my wish list. I only did frames that where capped and was on the cautious side.

>In Finland we currently sell normal chrystalized honey
Here I do not think I could sell a crystallized bottle of honey. I think they would un-crystallized it if it got that way in their pantry but would not purchase it that way.

>On Kangaroo Island, where the only honey available for retail sale is that produced on the island
We only sell retail also and sell it right off the porch. My partner has had bees for 78 years, born on the road he lives on, moved up the road about 1/4 of a mile from his parents farm and has lived there ever since so every one knows the "The Honey Man".

Thank you every one for your replies,
Karen