From:
Laura Downey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 09:29:25 -0400
Hello everyone,

   This is my first post to this list.  I just subscribed a few days ago.
 I've been reading some interesting notes from everyone.

   I have been beekeeping for three years now in Maryland.  I've lost bees
due to both swarming and mites.  This year I started out with two new hives
of three banded Italians.

   Upon inspecting the hives yesterday, it appears that one hive is
queenless.  There are about three or four emergency cells hanging from the
centers of the frames (not the bottom).  Just this past Saturday, I saw the
queen in the hive.  There is currently small and larger larva in this hive.
 The second hive is doing great.  I've placed a super on it already.  After
three years, this will be my _first_ crop of surplus honey!

   I'd like to know what could have happened to my queen.  I'm not sure if
they swarmed - but I don't think they did.  The amount of bees between
yesterday and this past weekend seems to be the same.

   I also like to know how emergency queens are regarded by beekeepers.  Are
they considered better or worse than queens reared from swarm cells?  What
should I expect from this currently queenless hive other than a lag behind
the other hive in the way of brood and honey production?

   Thanks in advance for your answers!

Laura Downey
Maryland