From:
Jane Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 11:09:50 PST
>Already, the admn. there
>thought the name of the group should be "sci.agriculture.beekeeping"
>so you can see what fun this is going to be.

This is one of the problems with the "mainstream" net.  I can tell you
that there are several groups who are having lots of problems with later-
comers, simply because the net administrators forced them to assume a
name that gave an erroneous impression of what the group was about, sometimes
in direct conflict with what the originators of the group intended.  (In one
group, it is so bad that later readers periodically tell the founders to
"get out and form your own newsgroup" because of an impression they have
formed because of the unwanted name.)  If you want rec.beekeeping, be
prepared to do major battle for the name, and be aware that even at that,
you may not get it.

--Jane B.