From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:16:23 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/05/00 10:05AM >>>
>From sci.agriculture.beekeeping
---
> Matthew Pollard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> has anyone done this? what size screen do i want? What did you use for
> sticky stuff?

>Hi, my husband made 6 screens to use in our hives.  They are great.
>He used standard window screen.

In my experience, window screen - at least here in the US is about 16 wires per inch and is too small for varroa screens as some of the mites don't fall through.  In which case of course your counts under the screen are lower than the real mite downfall.  Screen with 8 wires per inch works very well and is available here from many but not all hardware stores as 8 mesh hardware cloth.  The mesh bottom is a good monitoring tool but you need to get all the mites to the counting tray to know what is really going on in the hive.

blane