From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:50:40 -0800
At 09:24 AM 12/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Allen Dick wrote:
>> Visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Analog/

Beekeepers and Friends,

For more information on Dhampur Sugar Company and their sugar products stop
by http://beenet.com/bnews.htm

I agree on the face of what is today known, selling HF as Honey is not
right or legal in the US and other areas. I am not convinced that Dhampur
is doing any thing different from other sugar companies other then they say
they have a HF product that chemically can not be detected as any different
then honey.

I am not sure this is true for the same reasons they say their product is
superior to honey and that is because honey is not chemically pure and does
contain pollen and other sugars not found in HF.

I do agree that the bee industry should look into this perceived threat and
actively stop any products that advertise themselves as Honey as local laws
provide at least in the US and Canada.

I also think that some consideration should be given to what the public
will do if we go off on a big public witch hunt without complete knowledge
of the problem, and that is I think they will move away from the use of Honey.

High fructose sugar syrups and high fructose corn syrups are here to stay,
they are not new and at least the HFC syrups have given the bee industry a
alternative bee feed to HF and other sucrose syrups.

Dhampur Sugar does not process corn and its sugar syrups under any name are
subject to sugar quotas in the US. and most of the world. What they do with
them in other countries are of course a concern and may be reason to
increase the search for adulterated honey coming in to the US from all
countries. If they are selling sugar syrup as Honey they are stealing from
their customers and should be stopped.

Most bulk honey buyers know the difference between less expensive sugar
syrups and Honey and I do not believe any sugar syrup produced in India can
compete in price with HF sugar syrups produced locally. Of course if they
are allowed to be sold as a cheaper Honey there will be a few who will
bite, but most will back off when they discover what they have and that is
a HF sugar syrup trading on the good name of Honey which is no different
from any HF or HFC syrups do without saying so in most cases.

IMHO, Andy-
Los Banos, California

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!