From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:48:34 -0400
I appreciate Jerry's method of collecting information in a confidential
manner and keeping names out of it. Jerry is not government.

Lloyd's comments on our helpful government brought back the Alar scandal
that just about wiped out truthful apple growers in most states and was
very apparent here in Maine. The State government asked for growers to
let them know if they used Alar. The responsible ones did and their
names were published by the government. Since the scare was that Alar
caused cancer, those growers were wiped out or nearly so. The others who
used Alar (just about all of the growers did) but never reported it,
prospered. They even advertised that their apples were "Alar free", a
blatant lie.

Truth is, government really does not care what happens with the
information they collect, because there are always people in government
with agendas who will be happy to let the papers know the great scoop
they can give them.

I let a State environmental group do a study on water plants on the
creek that we front. Next thing I know is the City has declared our area
a resource protection zone and shut down most building close to the
water. The government is there to help.

I became fairly disillusioned with the criminal justice system when one
of my sailors was arrested for something dreamed up by his wife. I, in
my belief that the government was there for the truth (since I was a
part of the government), told him to just tell the police the truth.
Never again. The police twisted what he said to fit their concepts of
the truth and it took a year of first criminal court and then family
court to finally get thing back to what was the truth. He end up being
confirmed innocent of all charges and painted a nice portrait of me for
my troubles (the uniform did impress the judges).

I would never ever have anyone be open with the police again.. I would
tell them to call a lawyer and keep their mouths shut, no matter how
innocent they are. You are actually guilty until proved innocent.

The point of all this is to be circumspect in your dealings with any
government agency. You are just a small cog. You may think you are being
helpful, but remember that no good deed goes unpunished when dealing
with the government.

Bill Truesdell- Chairman of the Bath Zoning Board of Appeals for the
past 16 years (longest of any) and 30 years in the USN (I am only here
to help you and I have guns, big ones.)
Bath, Maine