Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 15:50:44 -0600
Curiosity question:

Just now, after a rain, I noticed a number of honeybees on the larkspur
border of one our flowerbeds.  This is annual larkspur, Delphinium
(certainly) ajacis (probably), and is as yet only four or five inches tall.
No buds or flowers on it nor on anything else in the bed, nor will there be
any for weeks yet.  The bees ignored the other plants and landed on the
feathery foliage of the larkspur, where they sat or moved around a little
before buzzing away a short distance to another spot.

Does anyone know what attracts them to these plants under these
circumstances?

Walter Weller