Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2015 20:56:36 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime, invent a balanced fish food and you allow one man to feed the world’s entire population forever with a single fish farm. 

Interesting article and thought.   I disagree with it the articles premise though.  Shes very down on where the system is headed and how its "tough to be a beekeeper"  Poor Zac   3 million in pollination  and its 60% of his income.....  Zac is greedy.....  he goes to CA cause he wants money...not cause he will be destitute if he doesn't.

She also totally misses the Vally.  Commenting on how dependant  we have become....   I view it as a da______ miracle....  drive out there ( I have and do)  it’s a desert.  Nothing but weeds and not bee weeds without the AG....  those men and women took a place that is worthless,  and make it productive..... It now generates crops and more waterfowl than most have ever seen in one spot.  

Shes also off on how many hives get moved out there,  bit of an stretch.  Its roughly 30% of the managed hives.

To me it’s a bit better writing,  but its still doom and gloom,  not a peep about what was there before, or about how the CA almond board created a market for the world,  and filled it.  Or the great opportunities afforded beekeepers,  or the  millions of acres of rice paddies that the ducks and geese use....

And nation wide?  Still around 15% of our land mass is AG,  not even a 1% change in the last decade.  Yea,  we could cut back on roundup a bit.  Might help a few bugs,  Roundup is what allows them to not till everything and let the chickweed and yellow rocket bloom.   So its not all bad either.........

Why is it every article we read has to be doom and gloom and anti farming???    
Everyone she go see the valley..... and look close at those patches that are not farmed...  see whats there when we don't use the land.  

Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2