Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 12:11:58 -0400
>>Why pick on patties?  We are agreed that misuse of OTC generally
>>contributed somewhat to resistance, (but not to what extent it affected
>>the inevitable) so why specify one delivery method?
>
> Because that was the only delivery method in which OTC was applied
> 24/7/365
> to hives.

Good point, but we are not talking about the proper use of prescribed
patties here, but improper use.    We saw the same sort of thing with
Apistan, Checkmite+, etc. but nobody is blaming them for the resistance
which developed.

>> >Other than my temporary "neighbors" in almonds, none are.
>> I believe them.  Thousands would not.
> Snide comment.

Actually it was not intended that way.  Seems this discussion is
degenerating into a personal quarrel where things are being taken
personally.

My comments, although often in response to some particular writer, are
general and not aimed at anyone and I generally avoid addressing anyone in
particular.  My hope is that all and any may jump in.

In regard to my scepticism expressed above, I know of few beekeepers who
know who all the beekeepers are within a five-mile radius of all their yards
or when hives come and go.  This includes myself, and I am located in fairly
sparsely populated, sparsely treed prairie region and only have two yards,
both within a half-mile of my home.  I can provide some interesting
anecdotes for any doubters.

>  but the fact is that my neighbors are all hobbyists who get any
> medications from me, and wouldn't think of forking out for a bottle of
> Tylan.

It is very interesting how beekeepers obtain various medicines and
pesticides, and that subject is probably more lied-about than sex.  As for a
whole bottle, tablespoonsful are often passed around.

> Not trying to step on your toes, Allen.

You definitely aren't.  I don't mind a little push and shove, but for the
sake of the list, lets avoid being too personal too often.

Thanks for the debate.  IMO, any real disagreement is semantic. I think we
define extender patties differently and I am not including abuse and
off-label concoctions in my definition.  I am referring to proper use of the
proper product.

As far as the improper use, I have some doubts about whether the resistance
came first of the overdosing came as an attempt to deal with it.

I notice that the point I have repeatedly made about the OTC resistance
appearing fairly shortly after the banning of sulfa is repeatedly ignored.
While sulfa was permitted, it did the heavy lifting.  It was a very powerful
drug and long lasting and it was not unusual to see well over 1ppm (not ppb)
in honey shipped in those times.

When sulfa was removed from the scene, we quickly learned how ineffective
OTC was alone, and subject to development of resistance.

Today, there is far more Tylan in use than most people think.  Its use is
controversial and beekeepers use it and then say nothing.  Since Tylan's
effects are long-lasting, occasional use seems to be adequate, whereas OTC
requires repeated application in an instance where actual AFB is lurking.

But, I am repeating myself.

I have written as carefully and specifically as I can and some understand
what I am saying and have added supporting detail.   If others skim over my
words and react and argue rather than absorb and respond constructively,
there is nothing I can do.  I don't expect to be understood no matter how
carefully I write and re-write.  In fact I would be amazed if I were
understood.

I don't know if we can add much to this topic except that it appears that
24/7/365 tetracycline abuse began a lot farther back than we ever thought.

"The bones of these ancient people were saturated with tetracycline, showing
that they had been taking it for a long time," Nelson said in a press
release August 30. "I'm convinced that they had the science of fermentation
under control and were purposely producing the drug."

"This discovery will provide a whole new framework for understanding the
relationship between microbes and antibiotics," said anthropologist Dennis
Van Gerven of University of Colorado at Boulder. "There might have been
other populations that were also doing the same thing, anywhere that there
were these microbes. This is going to drive other scientists to start this
search, and that is incredibly important."

Read More
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/09/antibiotic-beer/#ixzz0yZpjwLGw