From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:20:21 -0600
Dee wrote:
> Does anyone know say, if, Argentina uses or has used in
> recent years streptomycin?

I do not know what drugs the Argentine's use.

I doubt a beekeeper would choose streptomycin to use in a beehive because of
cost. I have used streptomycin to fight a severe case of fire blight in the
orchard but expensive. Streptomycin would be in the same class as finding
terramycin in honey. Does not belong but unless you were allergic to
streptomycin little cause for concern in PPB.

What are  foreign beekeepers trying to cure with streptomycin?

Is streptomycin being looked for
> actively in honey from overseas?

I read  they were looking in the U.K. for honey tainted with streptomycin.

Chloramphenicol was found by those policing the Chinese antidumping. Unlike
streptomycin and terramycin , Chloramphenicol is a rather nasty antibiotic.
Chloramphenicol is available by prescription in the U.S. and Doctors do use
Chloramphenical as a last hope in certain cases but the antibiotic can cause
a potentially life threatening side effect called idiosyncratic aplastia
anemia.

I have tried to find out  what the Chinese were using Chloramphenicol for
but to no avail. A noted researcher did tell me the USDA *thinks* the
application method  was spraying Chloramphenicol  on the bees themselves.

Bob