From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:27:55 -0800
If there is something
> that causes CCD, the answer is in the west, not the east.

Bill, I am in total agreement with you re a large number of colonies die as
a result of mite infestation.

The point that I was trying to make was that  recurring collapses preceded
either mite.
Again, refer to Andy Nachbauer's SAD bees, BAD bees.
Mites have just made the situation worse.

I'm hoping that the CCD researchers can pinpoint what goes wrong--could
simply be nutrition/nosema/virus, could be something else entirely.
If they can identify the critical agent or cascade of events, then we can go
about trying to avoid, mitigate, or treat.

I'm greatly supportive of CCD research--even though teams may be barking up
different trees.  The end result is that we are learning a great deal about
bee nutrition, immune function, viruses, nosema, epidemiology, etc.  Smart
beekeepers will benefit from this knowledge.

I feel no need to second guess or criticise any of the CCD researchers.
They are all working damn hard, and in earnest.  I've learned  valuable
lessons from them all.

Randy Oliver