From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:03:02 -0800
I finally got around to reading my Nov ABJ last night, and yep, type 55 HFCS is 23% moisture and 77% solids, presuably all available sugar of some sort, mostly fructose.

Lionel wrote:  I just got off the phone with Steve in the lab at Cargill Corn Sweetener
plant in Decatur, Alabama. He said that "55" is 77% solids. Which is 23%
water.

I found my old ABJ where I asked this question in the classroom.  Jerry Hayes passed along the question to Steve Martin of ADM, who also confirmed the 23% moisture, adding that type 42 HFCS is 29% moisture.  Check out the ABJ, Volume 141, number 12 (Dec 2001) page 860.

To get us on track, the formulas then work out like this:

a)  Cost of container of HFCS / pounds in container = cost per pound of syrup

b)  cost per pound of syrup / .77 = cost per pound of sugar in type 55 HFCS.

If I can still get that 5-gallon bucket (57.5 pounds) for $17.25, then my cost per pound of syrup is ($17.25 / 57.5 lbs) = .30 cents per pound of syrup.

But if only 77% is sugar, then my cost per pound of sugar is (.30 cents / .77) = .39 cents per pound of sugar in that bucket of HFCS

Now I can compare the cost of HFCS to granulated sucrose.

Thanks for all your patience.  We learn together!

Grant
Jackson, MO