From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:36:02 -0800
No figures either, but a personal (sort of related) anecdote. In South
Africa we had the largest date plantation in the Southern Hemisphere on the
ranch I worked at. Fresh date pollen is hugely expensive, but like Coconut
pollen has a very short life span. After a couple weeks or months (it's the
same with Coconuts) the pollen becomes unviable and worthless. The guy in
charge of the Dates (I was mellons, veggies and Table Grapes) would give me
the old Date pollen. To get the AM scuts ready in late winter for the early
cantaloup crop, I'd pour some Date pollen into little trays in the hives,
and they went nuts over it. Between that and sugar water I'd get the quick
buildup I needed.

But sorry for not answering your question....:-)