Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 15:07:45 GMT
Mark,

>>If you could choose whether an Inspection program exists or not, which way would you vote and why?

I'd invariably vote for an inspection service.  My reasons:

- helps diagnose diseases such as American foulbrood
- bee inspectors are often master beekeepers who can shed light on problems and provide invalueable advice
- can check nucs/hives of local beekeepers before one buys them and have the inspection history of fellow beekeeper

The last reason is probably most important to me.  When I was getting started in beekeeping, I once bought a nice, strong nuc from a local, very reputeable beekeeper.  I did not know any better but the nuc had clinical foulbrood when I pick it up...  This beekeeper, in fact, once gave a talk on foulbrood to our local bee club.

I happily transferred the nuc to a hive and saw it develop nicely over the next 2 months.  I was not crazy about the brood pattern and started to look for clues.  I asked my bee inspector to verify my growing suspicion...  Fouldbrood id was positive needless to say.

I've vowed not to buy another nuc from another beekeeper UNLESS I knew him better than my wife :)) and had been in his hives myself over a season or two.

Lately, I have not had to buy packages or nucs which, in opinion, is the best course of action.

It's good to know if other beekeepers in the surrounding areas are repeat offenders for foulbrood.  It's very unfortunate but there are always a few folks who insist on trivializing their foulbrood and don't take serious steps to eradicate it in their operations.  You don't want to set up one of your outyards within flying distance of their location lest your bees bring home the scurge !!

In fact, I think bee inspector should be obligated to publish lists of beekeepers who fail to eradicate their fouldbrood for 3 years running!  I don't mind if someone gets fouldbrood once in a blue moon and takes serious actions to eliminate it.  But there are guys out there who cover it up and pass it on without losing sleep over it.

Waldemar