From:
Mike Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2015 10:41:14 -0500
I agree wholeheartedly with the title - the "facts" of 58% bee losses are certainly open to question when our Liberal Government offers $110 per lost hive due to pesticides to bee keepers with no requirement of proof or inspection.  It doesn't take an Einstein to predict how all of a sudden bee losses would increase dramatically.

I had kept bees for a number of years before I moved to my present location 6 years ago. Two years ago decided to get a couple of hives for pollination of my garden etc. and when I started up again I received advice from a local equipment supplier that you had to feed over the winter to ensure your hives came through strong in the spring.
I have followed that advice and have had no losses even though my property is surrounded by corn and soy beans using neomics and we had a very severe winter last year.

I have a neighbour who had two hives which she replaced because of winter kill off the same time as I started mine, and when I mentioned to her  the advice I received, her reply was she couldn't be bothered with that.  Last winter she lost both hives and gave up beekeeping.
I feel the biggest cause of high winter losses is improper beekeeping practices, and until we have some valid scientific proof to the contrary I keep an open mind.