From:
bob darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:32:57 -0500
On 11-Jan-06, at 9:44 AM, Lee Senecal wrote:

>> The CO2 extinguisher works perfectly to kill a hive - covers off
>> and a good shot of CO2, covers >back on, another good shot of CO2
>> into the entrance and plug the entrance.  Wait a few miniutes

Hi Lee, Chris and all

I may be  shooting in the dark, but I believe that CO2 fire
extinguishers are no longer legal in Ontario.  I am speaking of
extinguishers that use CO2 only to put out fires(mainly in electrical
equipment), not those that use a CO2 cartridge  to shoot another
chemical on the fire.  CO2 extinguishers have a long horn (18-24"
long and 3-4" wide at the mouth) with an insulated handle to protect
the user from the cold temperatures produced when used.  They
certainly would do the job with no messy chemicals on the comb if
they are still available.  The main danger( other than frostbite) is
that they quickly displace the air in a closed space(not a big
problem in a beeyard) which becomes a problem for the firefighter.

Bob Darrell
Caledon, Ontario
Canada
80W44N