From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2018 07:02:17 -0700

> > the issue was AFB, where the equipment would be burned or landfilled.

Exactly!  If one were to scorch the wood, or hot tank it as we do, any
residues would be expected to evaporate.

The traditional chemical used to kill bee colonies quickly way cyanide--but
it's use and availability have been greatly restricted since the Tylenol
episode some years ago.

I've used CO2 to kill jars or ziplocks of bees, but not a full colony.
However, when I suggested using dry ice to a friend to kill a hot hive, he
was very disappointed in the results, despite applying two 10-lb blocks.
Has anyone on the list had success with dry ice to kill a hive?

Another low-human-toxicity, non-residue solvent that one could use would be
the same one the entomologists use in their killing jars--ethyl acetate.
Readily available, and I can't find that it is listed as a pesticide
(surprising).

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA