From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:23:55 -0800

> >. I usually give a full box of foundation on top and put another bow with
> drawn comb above to ensure they don't run out of space. This way they will
> have empty cells for honey, and foundation to put the wax they produce..
> Inserting a frame or two of white comb in the brood nest in spring will not
> do any damage, while frames of foundation will slow down the queens egg
> laying and thus reduce the crop.

Thanks, P-O.  This is similar to what I do here in the West, and works for
me.   Bees indeed will produce wax on a flow, and giving them foundation
gives them some place to put it, rather than building comb where you don't
want it.  I've not had good luck putting foundation down in the broodnest--I
also prefer to have them draw it above, and use nothing but drawn combs in
the broodnest.

This is the sort of practical beekeeping discussion that I enjoy learning
from!  (Burned out on the neonic shouting match).

Randy Oliver