From:
Michael W Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:26:20 -0500
If foundation cell bases determine cell size, and if feral colonies
build hives with no foundation, then cell size in feral hives should
be what we are considering to be a more natural, smaller size.

....downsizing alters genetic structures just like that.

QUERY:  What if the size of the worker bee determined the size of the cell
structure built by that bee?  Would our "manmade" worker bee make brood comb
in size relative to the size of the worker?  "My head, thorax, whatever, is
of such a size so the cell width has to be a certain size relative to my
size."  If such a postulate were true, that would explain the difficulty in
getting worker bees to work smaller cell size foundation "possibly".

We could definately look to see if there seems to be an attempt at
downsizing brood comb by feral bees as compared to that standard used in the
apiary industry.

I have access to a feral colony established inside the walls of a house.  I
plan to cut the comb out and tie it into frames.  With all the discussion
about cell size I think I shall try to get the bees to draw out comb in
empty frames by providing just a very thin strip of starter foundation and
see if they will draw out a smaller size cell comb.

I'm definately open for comments/suggestions.

Mike Stoops
1/2 way between Montgomery & Mobile, Alabama, USA