Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 08:19:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi Everyone,
Just a couple of comments.  Bob commented about the issue of open mated production queens resulting in a lower level of hygenic behavior or SMR trait.  In both cases researchers have done tests and have shown that the selected X nonselected cross shows intermediate levels of the selected trait i.e. not as good as the selected parent but considerably better than nonselected stock.  Both were shown by this testing to have much better disease ( hygenic ) or mite ( SMR ) resistance than the nonselected stock they were crossed with.  Bottom line: even if you don't control the mating you will get some improvement in the first year.

Now what about the second year or third?  Let me give an example that I have seen here in MN.  I know a beekeeper who has gotten hygenic breeders from Dr Spivak for several years.  He saw an improvement the first year but has seen much greater disease resistance after two or three years of purchasing hygenic breeders.  Why?  Simply a case of having more drones available in the mating yard that also carry the selected trait.  So if you want to get the full benefit of these traits plan on purchasing selected breeder queens for at least 3 years or longer so most of your drones are also carrying the desired traits.  You should see improvement in your stock during that time in the selected traits.  Of course you also need to continue to select for other important traits but most of the breeders are also selecting for these.

One last comment.  In some cases the first generation cross will give better overall preformance due to hybrid vigor.  My understanding of Dr Harbo's stock is that it is a somewhat inbred line selected to be crossed with beekeepers stock to bring the SMR trait into their stock.  As such it could well result in the first generation showing hybrid vigor which may result in greater honey production etc.  Be aware that this might not be as true of the second generation crosses ( selecting breeders from your own stock to cross with your own drones ).  That said it is not a bad thing at all just something to be aware of so you aren't upset that the bees seem to loose some of their vigor upon supersedure etc.  Remember what happened with starlines and what happens with buckfasts upon supersedure.  A similar effect could occur with these bees.  Purchasing a new selected breeder every year may help reduce this effect.

FWIW

So far I am pleased  with the harbo queens but it is far too early to make any statement about how resistant they are.

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2