From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 17:51:23 -0400
Three weeks into this 2007 swarm season, I don’t see any scarcity of
ferals or swarm calls in my area.  I have been getting about the same
number of calls as last season.  Bee trees and most removals are being put
on hold till later in the season, because of swarm chasing and trap
checking.  Checked the woodland  traps, one swarm so far and scouts were
noticed investigating several other traps.

As far as removals go, I  have a policy of removing feral colonies ONLY if
the bees are in danger of being destroyed, OR they pose a hazarded to
health or safety.  As part of my Feral Bee Project, last season I started
up a ‘Feral Bee Stewardship Program’ where homeowners (if safety criteria
are met) can become  Stewards and Guardians of their own feral colony of
bees.  And have a beekeeper On Call to provide assistance should questions
or problems arise anytime in the future.   Instead of killing or removing
the colony, this provides an option that is too often neglected, of
letting the colony live out its existance where it was found.

Last season, I have had a few homeowners decide to participate and keep
their feral colonies after I talked with them about the importance of
feral honeybees.  And already this year, I have had swarm calls to 2 of
these locations.  It appears from the number of prime swarms that settled
near a participating local church on a single day.  There is one colony
that we know exists, and a minimum 2 other colonies of bees either in the
church structure, or very close proximity.

Best Wishes,
Joe