From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:37:49 -0500
Dave:
> My take on all the Dna and research on this,it has little help or reality in the real world,to do anything but cause alot of mis information,even for government officials to use.

You have to realize that some scientists do pure research and some do practical research. DNA study has shown us that honey bees originated in Africa but the European line became distinct from the African ones about 100,000 years ago. I find that very interesting, but I can see how you might not care about that at all. Pure research may not translate into practical use. But don't forget about the millions that have been spent on varroa research. We now have a variety of varroa resistant bees to choose from. They may not suit you, but there they are.

So far as African bees goes, in Arizona they don't care about the DNA either, all unhived colonies are supposed to be killed, presumed African. In NY at least, the hive has to test African before anyone can talk about killing it. I am with Lloyd on this, however: the beekeeper should be able to take a shot at requeening it.

However, DNA study made the discovery that we have a new species of Nosema in our hives with quite different characteristics than Nosema apis. We also now know that there are a lot of different Nosema species and a lot of them don't stay in one particular host, like was previously thought. It's no longer about silkworm nosema, bumblebee nosema, etc.

It turns out that gut parasites can move between insects like Bumblebees and Honey Bees. A new parasite was introduced into Chile along with the commercial bumble bee. It has the ability to be transmitted to honey bees although it appears not to harm them. It may move into native bumble bees and wipe them out. Most of these parasites cannot be told apart visually, DNA testing is the only way.

The study of genetic diversity (DNA) in colonies has showed that the more different fathers a colony has, the healthier the hive. This has help the move to get different lines imported into the USA again. Finally, I should mention that while we haven't found specific genes for specific behaviors such as hygiene, if we do -- we may be able to use them with conventional breeding to produce the wonder bees that everyone wants.

Pete