From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:29:53 -0400
Chris

You are trying to make a case which is not supported at all by the report I cited. The study showed more bees in small cell hives in one year out of three. In the majority of the trials, the bee population difference was *not* significant. As anyone who has done bee studies, the colony performance varies widely and it is sometimes difficult to determine what is the treatment effect and what is noise (random variation).

But as was stated in the previous message, the trial was *about* varroa mites being controlled by small cell, nothing else. Other factors such as honey production were not monitored. I have been saying for ten years on Bee-L that small cell foundation does not work as varroa control and I am presenting a rigorous scientific study done at the University of Georgia by recognized beekeeping authorities, Jennifer Berry and Keith Delaplane.

Please do not distort what I have presented as supporting a completely separate notion that was not even addressed by the report.

Peter