Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2017 11:02:34 -0400
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00218839.2015.1106777?scroll=top&needAccess=true#.WYpmIIif3zY.mailto

Encourage all to read Medhat's link above since it does answer most of the
questions we have about OA treatments, but with the hive in a broodless
state.It also has the proposed mechanism for kills so I am a happy camper.

From it you can infer (by mite drop over time) how you can get 90% control
with a 2x7 application but near 98% with more treatments over shorter
periods.It also confirms the safety to the bee of OAV, which is another
reason I shifted from MAQS.In essence you see no more dead bees on the
floor than if you had done nothing. Compare that to MAQS with dead bees and
dead queens!

If I was in an area where you only need one treatment per year, I would go
with the late summer 4x5 or even 6x5 based on Medhat's comment, but still
followed by a broodless treatment later. But I am not, so still with 2 2x7
and one broodless. I also do a single late spring treatment.

So Medhat has made most of my concerns moot, as is usual. Thanks.

I agree that we still need a study on OAV when brood is present- along the
lines of this study especially since so many are now using OAV for all
treatment periods. We do have a lot of positive anecdotal information, but
little concrete.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine