From:
"C.R. Crowell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:44:02 -0400
I had several nucs this summer, and a few were slow to draw comb.  I fed
them using a division feeder
in the upper brood super. They seemed to take the syrup well, but in at
least one case I noticed that it
wasn't those bees that were taking it - it was another stronger hive that
would start robbing it out.  I had
thought that the use of a division feeder reduced the likelihood of robbing
(certainly making it less likely
than using a Boardman feeder).

Once I realized what was going on I moved the nuc to a location where I had
other hives of similar strength.
I could also have added an entrance reducer to make it easier for them to
defend the entrance, but I decided
to move it instead (I still could add a reducer).  The literature suggests
that once a hive is being robbed, the
queen may stop laying.  I wanted them to be happy - so I moved them.

Curtis Crowell
Hightstown, NJ