From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 17:18:42 -0700
 [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Could you give more detail on the
> full name.

Hello, and thank you for responding to my letter!

Full name is:  John Evans
Commonly referred to in most historical bee literature from the early 19 century as ‘Dr. Evans.’

Evans lived in Shrewsbury, where he practiced as a physician, but later, moved to, and died in Wales.

Evans was known at the time,  for his beautiful poetic descriptions of honeybee behavior as the ‘apiarian laureate’.  In fact, so well known was he, as the ‘Apiarian Laureate’ during the early 19 c,  that many times,  lines from Evans works that were used in later publications didn’t even use the name Evans, instead, simply would give credits to:
-The Apiarian Laureate.

Bits and pieces of info:

From the British Bee Journal - Page 306  Bees- 1953
“…The 1838 edition of Bevan's book contains no less than 255 lines from Dr. Evans' poem, The Bees. Parts from the poem appear throughout its 428 pages…”

There is some interesting information about the works of Dr. Evan,,,
I understand Dr. Evans's poem consisted of four parts, of which only three were ever published.   From information at the time (early 19 c), it was known that part four had been prepared for the press, but was still in the keeping of the family. From historical records,  unfortunately,  we find that the only survivor of nine children was unable to discover the whereabouts of the document.

‘The Queen Insect’ is a work by Dr. Evans, but I’m not sure if it is a sub part of his work ‘the bee’ OR perhaps a totally separate work.

In writings by Dr. Evans, Evans offers up great praise of Thomas Wildman's work.  So Evans must have completed his work after the publication of the first edition of ‘A treatise on the management of bees’ by 1768, by Thomas Wildman, Or perhaps, knew of Wildman and his work, placing the date prior to 1768, if this was perhaps the case.

So perhaps, this narrows down to search to a time period of between 1768, after Wildman’s book (OR perhaps, earlier if Evans knew Wildman, and before 1838 when Bevan quoted 255 lines from Dr. Evans poem, for the date of the work by Evans.

Best Wishes,
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles

Be a better friend, newshound, and