From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:58:03 -0500
> Which guy? The authors are listed as Dick Rogers, Geoff Williams, Chung Lam, David Fischer, and David Hackenberg. Mr. Hackenberg's name is on the work, which implies that he agrees with the conclusions.

I am speaking of those who did the observations and who compiled the
report and, if I can use the expression, "dumbed it down" by not
showing whiskers on the charts (one example).  I have no indformation
as tor who did what or the politics.

I think that Hack had a choice: either go along or wreck the whole
effort.  Not much of a choice.  I am pretty sure he did not work with
the data and massage it into the bolus we were asked to swallow.  I
could guess who did, but I hate to guess out loud.

As for Dave Hackenberg, he protested a lot,and reported different
observations publically, but the presentation was the one place he did
not.  That would not have reflected well on him, given that there was
little time to discuss dissent in the meeting format.  Was that his
son who stood up and protested at the end?  Not sure.

I guess one other thing that to me is a red flag is that the presenter
didn't express any doubts, mention areas for further examination, or
disclose any weaknesses in the methods beyond mentioning faintly that
too many hives died for the project to continue as long as wished and
the disease and pest loads.

I'm much more inclined to believe a presenter who finds what his/her
study was unable to do and where it was grey more interesting than
what appeared to be proven.

That's just me.  I am also alarmed by the amount of cheerleading I see
for this (IMO) superficial and flawed superficial study.

Doubt is central to science.  To me science stops exactly at the point
when everyone expresses certainty or dismisses outliers from the field
of interest.

(Written from MacDonalds on I95).