From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:48:52 -0500
Tom questioned some of the comments I made concerning the mechanics of
clustering and use of food during the winter.

Tom, at about the same time as I was making my comments another person was
as well.  Perhaps Blane?  Regardless, he referred to the same study as I,
but he identified it.  I believe the study was at the University of
Minnesota.  While I have deleted the reference, you may still have it or it
can be found in the archives.  (If I were looking, I'd first try the keyword
Minnesota, then look for a date this week.)

You mentioned brood rearing and, yes, brood rearing during cold weather
complicates everything.  Sometimes so much that the entire hive will perish!
As I look back on 35 years of beekeeping, one of the most significant
changes has been the "development" of the Carnolian strains.  25-35 years
ago the #1 difficulty of beekeepers here in the Northeast was over-wintering
bees.  In hindsight, that was because we were all using Italians, and they
were maintaining huge clusters and brood-rearing all winter!

In the mid-60's a Canadian named Hastings introduced a decent strain of
Carnolians that had been selected for honey production, gentleness, and
moderate swarming behavior.  Carnolians has always been known for
over-wintering with small clusters and no brood, but were "nasty", and built
up brood so fast in the spring that they were always swarming!

In the 1980's Sue Cobey assembled several strains of Carnolians and made
further selections.  By then the technology for instrumental insemination of
queens had advanced to the point where it was possible to maintain strains
to a degree unheard of with open mating.  The result was the New World
Carnolians that continue today.

Today, Carnolians strains are the most prevalent used in the Northeast, and
perhaps in all states with similar climates as well as in Canada.  As a
result, if moderate amounts of food are left, hives are likely to
over-winter in fine condition.

I dislike making flat statements, but am tempted to say that it would be a
waste of effort to try to over-winter Italians in Alaska.

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.