Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:49:53 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
While reducing the amount of toxic chemicals sounds good, in reality I don't think it will happen,although,some of what we consider toxic is better than what we used to use.
  And if I'm not mistaken,in the next couple of years,alot more older  compounds will be phased out as some of the others have already vanished ,or moved to the restricted list,from the homeowners and public use.

I think Randy mentioned temik a few posts ago,it's not off the list here in florida,citrus still uses it,the amount per acre was adjusted ,and as of a few months ago, the label says it's safe for bees,not to good for fishes and drinking water,but that was on the label.
  The bottom line for us here is the citrus growers don't have to have bees,round fruit(as they are called,the ones used for juice and not fresh fruit) are self pollinating . Having bees does provide a positive net increase on the pound solids ,but it is not enough to have liability of a beekeeper saying his bees are getting killed.
  They have and aggressive spray schedule to combat greening,which is way more vital then having a few bees in the groves.  I just finished reading the Florida citrus industry magazine article about combating greening and tank mixes was mentioned as a way of getting several compounds out as needed,which is a standard practice,if there are no contraindications for doing so.
 The only place I see a challenge coming from might would be California,since more compounds are known to be harmful to man there, than any other place in the USA,which might could be used to force more reviews of some products. 

We have in our own greed for cheap stuff caused a large amount of our own problems by being such an import happy country over the years,bringing things from all over the world to our ports,then sending it throughout the country over time.
  So what should we do,stop spraying crops, stop treating all bees and then start getting 100 percent of our food and honey from more imports?? We seem to have to have to learn how to make the best of it and try and find a happy medium as far as bees are concerned

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2