Date:
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 12:38:22 +1200
Last year there was some discussion on the possibility of mango honey.

I have two apiaries that are located in mango tree rich areas. One in a
mango plantation and the other in a semi suburban area with lots of mango
trees. After about ten months of observations I have concluded that mango
trees do not produce enough nectar for the bees to convert to excess honey
and that the bees do not collect pollen from these trees.

The two apiaries are located on different sides of the island. One in a
drought affected area and the other in an area with adequate rain fall. Both
areas had above average crop yields.

The first apiary is in an area that did not receive rain for 8 months before
the major flowering in August. The drought persisted until mid September.
During the flowering very few of the flowers were being worked by the bees
and those bees working the flowers did not carry pollen on their pollen
baskets. The hives were receiving enough nectar to keep the hive population
up but not enough for them to make stores.

The second apiary is on the wet side of the island where there are a lot of
mango trees (though not a plantation.) This side received rainfall
throughout the year. The observations were the same.

Perhaps others made different observations.

If anyone has experience with the pollination of passion fruit I would like
to speak with you.

John Lewis
Fiji Islands
18S 178E