Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:42:49 -0700
Sounds like a great idea Coleene.  Next time I am in
town I will have to look your washer machine tray up.
My mother and sister would agree very much that we
need it, we have overflowed the honey buckets about 4
times now, wasting about 40 pounds of honey all
together.  Great fun cleaning it up!!  I found out
that using your hands to scoop the honey up is the
fastest way.

On the subject of extracting, all of us know that
honey has a tendency to get everywhere.  We have been
having lots of fun doing it, our most favorite moments
being when the pails overflowed.  Of course they
always did it when we were in a hurry.  THe other
thing was when the frames blew apart in the extracter.
 A note here for those who are not sure whether to use
2 or 4 wires in there frames, use 4!  A lesson learned
the hard way for me.  2 works if your honey is very
warm and you run the extracter slow for a bit, but it
is much nicer having 4 wires and peace of mind.  Mind
you, if you have a extracter where the frames are
parallel to the sides of the extracter, I don't think
it really matters.  I guess the radial extracters put
more stress on the frames.

Anyhow, that is all I have to say about extracting
honey.  I wish I could train the bees to put it in the
jars themselves.  Anyone else have extracting gone
wrong, lessons learned experiances?  Just thought
would be interesting.

By the way, how are honey flows going in areas
represented by those on this list?

Take care,

Carmenie

Ontario, Canada