From:
Vivian Donahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:27:35 -0400
What I do to clean up my cappings is put them out for the bees to clean up.
It is loads of fun to watch them bury themselves down in that pile of
cappings.  They will chew and lick them absolutely clean.  I am just a
hobbiest, and I usually  uncap my frames into a cheesecloth lined stainless
steel container. I bag up the cappings, let them drip over a day or two,
even squeezing them out to get as much of the liquid out as possible, then
set it in a large bowl and set it down about 10 feet from my hives.  I do
the same with all my extracting equipment when I am done.  Not a drop of
liquid gold is wasted.  I usually place a few branches in the extractor for
the bees who get "coated and stuck" to pull themselves out. Loads of fun to
watch.

Then I pack it in large paper cups and freeze for a couple days, then seal
it into zplock plastic bags until I have enough to trade with my friendly
supplier for something else I need.

bee happy everyone,
Vivian