Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:01:00 EST
>South Africa has recently begun to import cheap grades of honey.  The quality
>of the honey makes me wonder about the quality of the bee-keepers who supply
>it.
>
>Is there data available on diseases which may be spread in honey?  How are
>these detected?
>
>end.

Michael: A good place to start would be:

Sturtevat, A.P. (1932) Relation of commercial honey to the spread of
American foulbrood.  Jour. Agric. Res.  45:257-258

Sturtevat, A.P. (1936) Quantitative demonstration of the presence of spores
of Bacilus larvae in honey contaminated by contact with American foulbrood.
Jour. Agric. Res. 52:697-704

Shimanuki, H. and D.A. Knox. (1988) Improved method for the detection of
Bacillus larvae spores in honey.  Amer. Bee Jour.  128:353-354

Good Luck!

Gordon Allen-Wardell
Extension Apiculturist
University of Maryland