From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:33:54 -0700
Thanks for a very informative post, Bob!  I am very sorry to hear of your
health issues, as your observations are continually of great value.

I have two questions that perhaps you can answer:

1.  At the time of virus testing by Carreck's lab, IAPV had only recently
been identified (Sela 2005) and not yet widely publicized (Cox-Foster 2007).
 Since IAPV would have, prior to the publication of the genome of IAPV, been
identified as either KBV or ABPV, whether it could have been the virus
identified as KBV by the Carreck lab.

2.  Re CCD spreading from Hackenberg's operation, I've heard that hives from
Canada may have wound up in his operation shortly prior to his problems.
 Canada had been importing bees from elsewhere, and some of those bees had
been exposed to pollen collected in Asian countries, thus possibly carrying
bee viruses.  This potential route of introduction of new viruses into the
U.S. has always intrigued me.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com