From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:52:13 -0600
Rett Thorpe wrote:

> I am getting started in beekeeping this spring.  I plan to start with 2
> colonies.  One of the books I read said that many beekeepers  put only 8
> frames in their honey supers.  This is suppose to make the bees draw out
> the comb further (to establish proper "bee space").  The book said that
> this deeper comb was easier to uncap, and ultimately produced more honey
> per super.  Any thoughts or ideas on this method ??  please respond.
> Also is there any reason to use less than 10 frames in the brood
> chambers?
> Thank you for your time
> Rett Thorpe

Eight frame honey supers are usually easier to uncap, and with any
aggressive nector flow is *always* easier; however, when uncaped, more
wax is removed, and must be built back by the bees;  you get more
capping wax, but building wax takes lots of honey!  I have some doubt
about getting more honey therefore.   (Ask 10 people, get 10 answers!)
It probably makes little difference.      Bob Barnett