From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:14:36 -0500
Its not beekeeping anymore in my view if at the end of the season you have 12% of your bees left (if the experiment is any indication of migratory survival).

To me the experiment implies that the pesticides may not be what's killing off bees in migratory operations. We more of less new that from Maryann Fraziers work and this just adds to that speculation.

I do realize there are many well run migratory operations that have good survival rates too. Over all if we can't keep the bulk of migratory bees alive then the price of pollination will continue to increase and reflect that supply and demand and those with the best husbandry skills will be rewarded.  But what is the REAL crisis? Pesticides or self contamination?

Our industry is in love with the idea of blaming external source of pesticides even though the mountain of data is not supporting that idea. Meanwhile back at the ranch its off label mite treatment roulette for many operations (but never mind that).  Its no wonder when national bee organizations Board of Directors contain beekeepers with enforcement actions from off label mite treatments against them.

As another beekeeper said to me one time, we have it down how to move boxes of bees very quickly and efficiently but the art of keeping bees alive has not kept pace with the efficiencies of moving bees with mites in the mix.

The top pesticide enforcement person at our Ag Dept in Mn told me most of the time they investigate a so called pesticide kill in bees they only find beekeeper applied chemicals. This has been going on he said for 20 years.  I got the impression he did not take pesticide kills very seriously as a result.

Was it the 3 mite treatments and previous self contamination that did the bees in this experiment in? or blame it on the other crops that were pollinated? I think we all can deduce the possible answer with the range of information we have now.

What would you be thinking if you were on the outside looking in like Bayer? they must have the core data that shows what else was found in the hives at the end of the season but that might be too personal to publish?

p.s.

Bob - I'm sorry to hear you are not able to work bees like you want this season. I hope to keep a bee tool in my hand too as long as possible.  Best wishes on your health issues.