From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:57:46 -0400
Allen Dick wrote:

> Presenting such a diagram should be very simple.  I propose we put off
> further discussion of comb arrangement until someone who has seen such comb
> presents a simple cross section diagram so that we can see better what is
> being proposed.

Amen.

I would think that those combs are plentiful. If they are the natural
way bees make combs nd they give some benefit to bees, they should be
found everywhere.

Which is what has been troubling me. If this is the natural state for
comb production, it does not depend on anything and will be the way bees
create comb wherever any support of any kind is found, in a manmade hive
or in a tree or on a branch. But that does not seem to be the case, at
least it has not been shown so.

It also flies in the face of what I have observed in frame manipulation
by experienced and exceptional beekeepers here in Maine in the spring,
when frames are moved all over to redistribute stores, yet the bees thrive.

I wonder if Housel Positioning might have been a special case and
depended on the enclosure where the feral comb was observed. Not the
first time someone made a universal application to a local phenomena.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine