Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:24:35 -0700
Hi all,

> > Assumming all drone brood mites are killed, Then
> > each generation of mites would, presumably, be better able to reproduce
in
> > worker brood, as all survivors have the traits that enable this behavior

How is it you will kill "all" drone mites(to do this you must kill all
drones)? Do you have that kind of time to do this ? Even if you could do
this it is completely unnatural. How would you mate queens? I believe to
much assuming is being done here. I don't see traits being passed down at
all.  The cells are closer to drone sizing at let's say 5.4mm thus the mites
simply percieve this as a good place to reproduce. The mite just wants to
live and reproduce like anything else.  The mite reproduces in worker brood
because it is available.

> > If you somehow managed to breed a mite that easily reproduced in worker
> > cells, then this mite would, presumably, be better able to adapt
> > to breeding in 4.9 foundation.  That assumption of perfect kill of drone
> > produced mites is quite a large one, however.

This hasn't happened!  There is about 800 colonies I know of  to prove this.
About 90-95% of mite reproduction occurs in drone brood in colonies on 4.9
cells (not foundation). The small amount of mites that is in worker brood is
chewed out at the tail end of the honey flow. The time when the winter
population is capping over. Pictures of this can be seen on BIO BEE list for
those interested.

Clay