From:
dthompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 01:02:04 -0500
>YOU have ...   ???

I'm still alive and so are all of my hives so far
Due to car problems and health issues the bees got little attetion
in the back half of the year
Fortunatly I fed ~10 gm VC in the front half (of the year)
Due to the lack of Varroa control I expect WL of 25-30%
(and from general apperance) This is actually not too bad all in all
I will certainly be examing  the deadouts closely

Since the virus is so long lived it doesn't matter how poisonous VC is,
the virus will persist on the equipement and cause re-infection
As well not all the bees will get enough doses to protect them,
and so be a disease resevoir

But VC will prevent absconds from happening and give the hive back its health (to some extent)
Even very high doses of VC do NOT extinguish all rear leg symptoms

Are there any other practical and likely treatments that don't
fall in the class "general good BK practices"?

I certainly intent to feed VC next year, this to be the 3rd year,
despite the extra work

induce ccd?  just move a frame (from deadout) and wait a bit!

dave