From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:15:30 -0500
Walter Zimmermann wrote:

>To Peter Borst et al:
>Question:
>So does this mean that honey from my hives is harmful

No. If you have your own honey and you are certain that it is disease free,
you could use it. I just don't see any point. You would be better off
selling the honey and buying sugar.

Look, I raised thousands of queens back in the 1980s, and have I worked for
beekeepers who regularly purchase semi-loads of sugar. This is a common
practice and is not harmful.

Feeding honey, on the other hand, brings a host of problems. Fresh sugar
syrup does not contain significant quantities of yeast and does not ferment
readily, as does honey. It will eventually, of course.

The very smell of honey syrup stimulates robbing; much less a problem with
syrup, though you shouldn't be careless with it. The economics of feeding
honey is obvious; it's a case of penny-wise and pound-foolish, IMHO.

The only reason I enter these discussions is to try to correct *bad
information*. I can back up everything I say with reputable references. I
simply don't equate that with "because I say so" anecdotes.

"Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice: What I tell you three
times is true."

pb