From:
Alden Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:31:30 -0400
    This is a question for anyone on the list. Just to give you a little
background as to why I ask. I have been doing the drone culling method for
varroa this season and have a little knowledge of ethnic diets, thanks to
the apitherapy course, it occured to me there may be a market for drone
brood. I have found this to be quite lucrative, how about that, cashing in
on mite control? I would like to refine my marketing a little and would like
to have an idea of what kind of brood development extension I can expect at
lower temperatures and still keep the brood alive. This is, I feel, an
important aspect of my marketing after harvest. All I have ever read is
lower temperatures extends development. I also have a concern as to what are
the air requirements to keep these critters alive?
    As an aside for anyone curious, I am a medium frame/super beekeeper, I
place two empty frames in the top brood box of each hive and make (attempt)
my yard rounds on a 20 day basis. At this time I cut out any developing
drone (eggs thru pupa) and keep only the capped brood for market, the
remainder goes to my friends chickens or pigs gratis. 1 frame of brood cut
in two fits nicely it a one gal. Ziploc bag, thus the air requirement
concern. Presently I use a paper punch for one hole near the zipper. I could
leave it open but often there is a limited amount of uncured nectar or honey
that could leak out when stored flat. I have pretty much concluded the best
way to store is vertical and open, basically solving metabolic heat buildup
and the other two issues. Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Alden Marshall
B-Line Apiaries

Hudson, NH