From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 06:56:31 -0600
> Lance and Dave ARE not the only beekeepers sustaining these losses. New
> losses occur every day - one of the nation's large and most respected
> beekeepers lost most of his operation two weeks ago, another joined the
> ranks last Wednesday.

I seem to recall (I've been to too many conventions) talking to Lance in
Reno several years ago about the same time there was a big round-table
meeting of beekeepers dealing with the disappearances that were going on at
that time.  As I recall, he was *not* having any problem then, and when we
discussed chemicals, it appeared he was very knowledgeable, conservative and
careful about mite treatment chemicals.  Misapplication and over-use of
chemicals was the prime suspect of the empty hives at that time.

I think if we check the archives, we will find at least three reported
massive die-offs in the last decade or so in the USA.  In each case, the
claims were that the losses were unusual, huge and widespread. Tracheal
mites were blamed, but never convicted in one case, and I'm not sure what
people decided in the most recent one (before the current losses), but
chemicals -- both applied and environmental --  were the prime suspect.

Seems widespread disappearance is a regular occurrence, and at the time
widely reported, then, each time, almost forgotten after.  It is said that a
recession is when your neighbour loses his job, and a depression is when you
lose yours, and maybe this is somewhat like that?  The events are most real
to those affected, and a non-event to those spared?

At any rate, I made a few stops while in California recently, and met a few
people, including a broker, a researcher, and some beekeepers, and I lifted
some lids. Couldn't resist. What I saw confirmed rumours I have heard from
many places.  There are good bees, there are bad bees, and there are some
empty hives. Plus la change...

I saw doubles with 12 frames that were very consistent through the yard
(with some at 8, and only a few at 4-6 frames, but healthy) and I saw drops
from a different beekeeper or two that all seemed to be weak or dead or on
the way to that condition.  The best ones *in my very limited sample* and
where I could identify source, were from out of state and the worst were
local. As far as adequacy of hive numbers to meet grower needs, I heard of
no shortages, but I did hear *rumours* from several sources of at least one
large shipment arriving dead or nearly so, and cancelled cheques.  I also
saw orchards in bloom with no apparent bees on site, although sometimes the
drops are in the centre of the orchard where they are not obvious, and also
some orchards may have just suddenly come into bloom.

Almonds are not a monolithic crop, grown by one operator, but rather
scattered fields (orchards) -- large and small -- of various almond
varieties and ages, owned and run by diverse interests -- large companies,
and individual farmers of varying size and ability -- just like other farm
crops.  Almond orchards -- large and small -- can be seen here and there
while driving the interstates and look just like any fruit crop to the
casual observer.  Consequently, it is not easy to determine whether the
growers' needs are being met on the whole, since it appears that the
expectations and attention levels on the part of growers varies widely from
those who are casual or even negligent about pollination, to those who are
fanatic about having adequate bees.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:                                       *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm                               *