From:
Scott Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:47:49 -0800
Greetings all,
The weather is wonderful here in St. Louis, and the bees are flying
well!  I opened all my hives again today to medicate, and the girls
are busy at it.  Last weekend, I posted a question about one of
my hives wanting to swarm already this year.  When I openned it
then, I found half a dozen swarm cells in various stages, with 2
being fully capped.  It was suggested that I put all brood in the
bottom box, and split it with empty drawn comb.  I did that, hoping
it would slow them enough until I get my queens shipped so I can split the hive.  No luck!
I got into it again and found several fresh queen cell cups with
jelly and larvae in some.  I have come to the conclusion, that they
wont last 2 weeks till the new queens arrive.  Can I split the hive
now, and allow the queenless half to raise a queen or place a frame
with a nice big swarm cell on it in there, and the queenright half
to supercede,or do what it wants to?  Will they still swarm either
way?  I will worry about finding the queens later and requeen then.
 Thanks all.  I appreciate your help.
Scott Moser