From:
Vincent Earthboy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 10:05:01 -0500
Greetings, everyone.

I have been self-censoring my urge to post on Bee-L for a long time; I wanted to prove to myself that being able to withhold my tongue is far more important and mature than a constant jibber jabber, as if I were an expert of sort on any topic under the sun.  And “I knowed, I ain’t.”

However, lately I have encountered two wonderful posts that drew my attention.  One was written about how the arctic deep freeze made a pickup truck blare at night due to plastic shrinkage; although that post did not talk anything about bees, I was taken aback by the sharp observation of the poster, who, given such acuity of observation, is an excellent beekeeper no doubt.  That simple post moved me.

Then again yesterday I read another post from our friend Bob.  Do you all remember what he said?  Among others, he said “Keep the bloom sacred.”  Wow, now that’s my friend Bob, every young beekeeper’s Grandpa.  That was so beautifully put in such simple elegance.  Have any of you thought about this?  Most of us look at the bloom and immediately think about how our bees will benefit from it so that we too can benefit from their nectar and pollen-gathering or pollination service.  (We tend to forget the sanctum sanctorum act of flowering which enables all the living organisms to shuffle genes for survival through mutation.)  That statement rings the universal truth no matter where you are or whatever you do—whether you work for Bayer, orchards, or bees.

Think about how profound that little statement is.  Keep the bloom sacred, for we are the monks in the temple of our apiaries.  Our very life on planet earth depends on our monastic brotherhood.  Keep the bloom sacred.  Yes, and Yes, and Yes, Bob.

Yoon

“Keep the bloom sacred” – Bob Harrison