From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 16:04:33 -0700
Tom Barrett wrote:

> Thomas Mozer writes a most interesting e mail under the above subject.
>
> Let me put some of our experience in Ireland before the list members.

<snips>

> Please! let me say to our friends in New Zealand.
>
> You now have varroa, in fact you have probably had it for up to three years,
> and you will never again be without it. Gear yourself up to treat for it
> lest you start losing colonies wholesale.
>
> Do not listen to those who may preach a gospel which you may wish to believe
> - it will be your undoing.

Tom, so far as I can tell, you speak the truth, and I hope someone hears you. I
wish there was a better alternative than treating, but after hearing 2 days of
research at our recent meeting ->
http://198.22.133.109/
- I can't see a way out of the resistance whirlpool, either. The 8000
unregistered hives reported lately means to me that the gov't of NZ is not a big
part of many beekeepers lives, and so I assume that they will make their own
decisions about moving as they usually have. What do you suppose is next,
checkpoints on the back roads ?
John F. Edwards
Biological Lab. Technician
"Feral Bee Tracker and AHB Identifier", part-time mobile sting target
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center
Agricultural Research Service - USDA
2000 E. Allen Road
Tucson, Arizona 85719