From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:20:35 -0600
Hello All,

> In each case, the comparison is only as good as the samples for
comparison--and the validity of the assumptions made when
labelling them.

Exactly! I have seen samples used in which the clear used had slight runs.
The cuts of the samples were not perfect. These slides were sent to a state
bee inspector by a bee lab.

Also when doing tests there is a margin for human error. When I was running
the test to get the feel for the way fabis is done I could feel the margin
built into the computer program. Slide the mouse a quarter inch off and the
program showed "error". In my opinion the margin was too large ( but what do
I know as I am only a beekeeper). Basically when clicking on a wing
venenation point and the spot you clicked on was out of the range for A.
melifera the program would not take the entry. By playing with the mouse I
could see the program would take a margin of human error.

The technicians in Florida which use the fabis daily wish only one bee
sample needed to be entered into the computer to determine AHB (instead of
10) which would speed up the AHB id process.

Jerry Hayes told me the USDA-ARS was working on a field test for AHB
genetics which would involve simply grinding up a bee and popping in a vial.
Breaking the reagent and shaking. The color of the vial would give a rough
idea if AHB.

Now for the old commercial beekeeper  lighter side way of making a AHB
determination:

1. Kick the hive and if the bees boil out then AHB.  Chasing you all the way
back to the bee truck means those bees need a dose of "pixie dust"  and the
boxes tossed on the truck right away.

1.a
If producing a large honey crop maybe better wait for awhile.

2. If you get a 100 stings on your bee glove trying to get a sample for the
bee lab then those bees are AHB and forget the sample.

3. If you get the new reagent test Jerry Hayes speaks of and while waiting
for the color reading  you get a 100 stings on the hand doing the testing
you toss the test device and get out the "pixie dust".

I am not sure what "pixie dust" is but from what I hear the hive is  dead in
a few minutes.

bob

--
believed to be clean.