From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:37:50 -0800
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]> wrote:    >>Alabama currently has two inspectors,

  Mark: Is that all? Are there any county inspectors? Ohio used to have 6 State inspectors and 80 county inspectors.

>> Each colony
will have to have its queen marked and shown to the
inspector and that same queen is supposed to be in the
hive upon the hive's return into the state.

  Mark: I imagine that this is to be able to check the spread of AHB? Colony health isn't dependent on "seeing" the queen, only the evidence of her work or lack thereof. I may or maynot see your queen, though I do see quite a few of course.

  >>  I think I have a
solution for a quick confirmation of the queen but
nobody's asked me for my opinion yet.

  Mark: What's your solution? I'll buy you lunch the next time we meet if it's a good one.

  >> What would all of you guys out
there suggest as a quick inspection sollution when the
queen has to be observed?

  Mark: I'm not sure. I know that it takes me a long time to find my queens and sometimes there she is on the first frame that I pull out. I would imagine that having the queen tagged will be a big help to your inspectors. How about a microchip that could be scanned with something like a bar code reader but wouldn't have to be visually set off?

  Mark

Yahoo! Shopping